Friday, March 18, 2011

I was clicking the next blog button and noticed that every blog after mine was religious in nature. I have to wonder what's going on.

I am not a religious person. I identify myself as Catholic - but I don't go to Church, Confession, and rarely take Communion (the big C's of Catholicism). The Church and I have agreed to disagree on some fundamental issues and I honestly can't be bothered to get up before noon on a Sunday.

Also - going to church alone kind of makes you feel like a loser.

However, I do still observe some of the rituals. I celebrate the heck out of Christmas (in a secular way. People who say "Happy Birthday Jesus" annoy the shit out of me) and I don't eat meat on Ash Wednesday or Fridays during Lent. I usually try to give something else up as well, but I haven't come up with anything good yet. The last few years it was fast food (anyplace that had a drive through counted) but I've successfully broken that habit and I'm not emotionally ready to give up my desserts yet.

I also have a back-up religion, Judaism - again mainly because I like the rituals. I know that actually following the religion would involve a lot more effort on my part. I'd also have to give up mixing my meats and dairy, and that just isn't going to happen.

All this to say - I am not the most reverent person in this universe. So why is my blog, a bastion of sarcasm and inappropriate humor, surrounded by the God Squad?

No comments:

Post a Comment